Emergency Management Southland is coordinating assistance to their communities affected by the Lower South Island Flooding.

Community Hub

Emergency Management Southland has one active Community Centre currently operating in Te Anau Library  The Community Centre has key agencies available to answer questions and provide advice.

Location: Te Anau Library

Opening hours: Everyday til Friday, 21 February from 10am-3pm

Contact: 03 249 7379

The Community Centre has key agencies available to answer questions and provide advice.

Mental Health Support

1737 Need to talk?

After a traumatic event it is normal if you, or your friends and family feel distressed and to experience symptoms of stress You may have trouble sleeping, feel tense or irritable, or find yourself having repeated thoughts of the event, or images of what you saw.  You may also have physical stress symptoms such as being jumpy and easily startled, having headaches or pain from tense muscles, and feeling your heart pounding.

These kinds of feelings and symptoms are part of our normal reaction to a traumatic event, and for most people they pass over several days or weeks. However, if over the following days and weeks, distress or stress symptoms are escalating, or you feel you are not coping, it’s important to seek help and professional support.

Your GP is a good starting point, or for support with grief, anxiety, distress or mental wellbeing, you can call or text 1737 Need to talk?  This service is free, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and gives you the chance to talk it through with a trained counsellor.

If you have questions about your child or baby’s health or wellbeing, call Plunketline on 0800 933 922 to speak to a Plunket nurse. Plunketline also runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact your midwife for support and advice during pregnancy and postnatal.

0800 Government Helpline

If you’re struggling to support yourself or your family, or you would like more information about what help is available, phone the 0800 Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 (9am–5pm, 7 days a week). They can help you with:

  • urgent or unexpected costs such as petrol, food or furniture,
  • urgent living expenses such as medical costs, house repairs or maintenance, replacing appliances, bedding, rent or power bills
  • lost wages if you have to stay home and look after family members oryour workplace is closed
  • costs from accommodation provided by friends or family in their home.

Financial Support

Extra financial support is available to people affected by the Lower South Island Flooding. In emergencies, Work and Income can help you with costs you don’t have any other way of paying. You do not need to be on a benefit to be eligible and even if you don’t think you qualify, call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 to check your eligibility. There may be other options available and Work and Income can point you in the right direction.

You can find more information (including eligibility criteria) on the Work and Income website at www.workandincome.govt.nz under ‘benefits and payments’. In emergencies, Work and Income can help with:

  • payments if you’re hosting evacuees (private homes, marae or community centres);
  • accommodation costs if you’re evacuated and are staying in tourist accommodation (motels, hotels or temporary rental accommodation)
  • loss of livelihood (where you can’t work and have lost your income because of the Lower South Island Flooding; and
  • food, clothing and bedding (immediate needs up to a maximum amount).

Call the 0800 Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 OR Work and Income on 0800 559 009 to find out more.

If you need something urgently or get an unexpected bill and cannot afford to pay right now then Work and Income may be able to help you even if you are not on a benefit. You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

Mayoral Relief Fund

The fund provides assistance on a one-off basis for extraordinary circumstances, where real need can be shown. The fund is a last resort measure when people have exhausted other appropriate sources such as Ministry of Social Development (MSD), the Rural Support Trust, Earthquake Commission (EQC), or other government agencies.

Find out more or apply.

Insurance loss, damage or business interruption

Get in touch with your insurer if you’ve suffered loss, sustained damage, have suffered a business interruption loss, or to check if you’re able to make a claim.

If your home, contents or car has been damaged by the Lower South Island Flooding, report it to your insurance company as soon as possible.  Your insurance company will let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and how EQC works. If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure and weather tight, please inform your insurer, record the work done, take photos and keep a copy of the bills paid.

If you’re concerned or have questions about how to make a claim, get in touch with your insurer.

Lodging an EQC claim

EQC covers landslip damage to land, home and contents, within certain limits; and covers storm and flood damage to residential land only.

If you need to make temporary repairs to keep your home safe, sanitary, secure and weathertight, please record the work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of the bills you paid. Find out more at www.eqc.govt.nz/urgent-repairs.

You can learn more about EQCover for storm and landslip damage at www.eqc.govt.nz/storm-damage and you can make an EQC claim online at www.eqc.govt.nz/claims or call 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).

To make a claim with EQC for natural disaster damage, you must have a home or contents insurance policy with a private insurance company when the natural disaster damage occurred.

Inland Revenue

If you’ve been impacted by the Lower South Island Flooding and are struggling to deal with your tax or payments, please contact your tax agent or accountant. If you have missed filing returns or are late on payments, you can ask Inland Revenue to grant relief from penalties.

The Inland Revenue website also has information on managing financial difficulty and debt ¾ visit www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/debt or call Inland Revenue on 0800 473 566.

Tenancy information

If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations at www.tenancy.govt.nz or by phoning 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

Accommodation support

If flooding has made your house uninhabitable, and you require assistance to find temporary accommodation, you can register your need for temporary accommodation
with MBIE’s Temporary Accommodation Service. Register online at www.temporaryaccommodation.mbie.govt.nz or phone 0508 754 163

If you think you will need temporary accommodation in the future (for example, when repairs begin on your house, or when your current temporary living situation changes), please register your expected temporary accommodation need with TAS now. This will allow staff time to understand your needs and find a suitable temporary accommodation option for you.

If your house has been ‘stickered’ please check out this FAQ sheet. southland-floods-stickered-properties-faqs

Rural Support

Your point of contact for help during or after an adverse event is your local Rural Support Trust. Its nationwide network directly assists rural communities and individuals affected by adverse events. They can also put you in touch with other individuals and organisations.

Phone 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP) or visit www.rural-support.org.nz.

Animal welfare support

Your animals are your responsibility. There is information and checklists to help you protect your animals in emergencies on the Ministry for Primary Industries website (www.mpi.govt.nz).

To report animal welfare concerns involving livestock, phone the Ministry for Primary Industries on 0800 008 333. For concerns about pets, contact your local SPCA centre.

If your animals need veterinary treatment, contact your own veterinary clinic. If you do not have a regular veterinarian or yours is not open, you can find nearby clinics by going to Find-a-vet on the New Zealand Veterinary Association website www.nzva.org.nz.

For support for yourself or someone you are worried about, please contact Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254.

For basic clean up assistance or to relocate cows in milk, please contact Federated Farmers of New Zealand on 0800 327 646 (option 2).

International visitor support

If you are a foreign national travelling in New Zealand requiring further consular assistance, contact your nearest Embassy or High Commission in the first instance. Contact details are available on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade website www.mfat.govt.nz.