Criteria and application form for the Mayoral fund to assist people most severely affected by the Southland flooding event which began 3 February 2020.
How to apply
Complete the online application form below or click here to download and complete the application form and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it to any SDC Service Centre, or drop off to Environment Southland, at the corner of North Rd and Price St in Invercargill. You can also drop your application off at the Gore District Council or the Mataura Service Centre. Alternatively post it to us at: Emergency Management Southland, Private Bag 90116, Invercargill, clearly marked with your name and “Mayoral Relief Fund”. Only one application will be considered per business or individual. Hard Copies of this form are available at local council offices.
What is the purpose of the fund?
The fund provides assistance on a one-off basis for extraordinary circumstances, where real need can be shown. The fund is a last resort measure when people have exhausted other appropriate sources such as Ministry of Social Development (MSD), the Rural Support Trust, Earthquake Commission (EQC), or other government agencies.
The fund will provide for, with priority given to:
- Essential items/essentials of daily life (e.g. food, accommodation, utilities) not covered by insurance or other fund;
- Extra financial burden (including significant loss of income) / costs due to the February 2020 flooding event not covered by insurance or other fund; and
- Family or personal crises, support for which is not covered by insurance, another agency or fund; It is intended that these grants go some way towards helping alleviate the emotional and financial stress experienced by individuals and families due to the February 2020 flooding event.
What can the grant be used for?
When the grant is awarded it may be used for any purpose related to the 3 February 2020 flooding event. However, there is no guarantee of funding.
Who administers the fund?
A Mayoral Relief Fund Committee comprising of the local leadership will administer the fund.
The application form requires you to provide personal information in order to process your application. Emergency Management Southland will meet its legislative obligations under the Privacy Act 1993 with regard to any personal information held.
In order to be considered for this fund the following criteria must have been met:
- Applicants must be experiencing hardship as a result of this particular weather event at the time of their application;
- Applicants must be a permanent resident or owner of a business located in Southland Region (Southland District, Invercargill City & Gore District Council) at the time of the 3 February 2020 flooding event;
The following criteria for businesses apply:
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate a significant financial hardship attributable to the February 2020 flooding event.
- In the case of a business the applicant must demonstrate that the business was viable before the event and can recover successfully.
- The business must be located in or provides services within the Southland Region.
- A copy of photographic identification
- Proof of residency or business location / service provision in Southland Region at the time of the February 2020 flooding event
- Proof of items listed in the above criteria; ie. Accounting information for businesses & proof of address for all applicants
If you are unable to attach the documents now, don’t worry, get them to us as soon as you can. Your application can not be processed until supporting documentation/ID is received by the Fund Coordinator.